I learn something new every time I use my knitting machines. I started looking through a lot of old patterns I have and I had Charlene Shafers Storytime Quilt book. I decided to use up some yarn I have and play around with her motifs in this book. Well, four to five hours later I came up with this.
Here is what I learned. The cows are unhappy in the barn and want to live in the house since it is bigger. The rooster is mad because he can’t find any of the hens and he got sunburned sitting on the fence all day . Farmer Jack is steaming mad because he started to collect the bales of hay and the rain clouds are getting his hay wet.Mrs farmer Jack is mad because she has the laundry drying on the clothes line and she is stuck in the out house and can’t get to it before the rain comes. …….well it is a story time afghan. 🙂
Okay, seriously I did not want to make a four color blanket because I wanted a lot of design and I did not want a super long afghan. The blanket uses four colors but it is knitted with a three color technique-199. I used hunter green , white and yellow until I knitted the last top stitch of the flowers on row 120. Then I changed to red as the third color and knitted to row 804 and then changed the red back to yellow so the tractor and hay were yellow. What I learned is that the afghan in my house looks like a normal hunter green all the way through it. In the picture it looks darker where the red is behind the green. You can only see the line in the picture . I kind of like the darker look so the cows spots look black. lol I thought of duplicate stitching the green spots on the cow but I am okay with it. So is you want to make something like this you might want to stick with four colors all the way through.
All in all I think it is kind of cute and tells it’s own story. I had fun making it and my passap was knitting like a dream and not one error with the whole afghan . I did have one thing happen but it was my stupidity. When I noticed the second strand of green had run out(did not wind enough off) I was 24 rows past the run out point. I still had the afghan knitted in an hour. I even took the time to see how much of each color of yarn I used.