Archive for February, 2017

Passap Zig Zags by Irene Krueger


dscf3808

This is the first sample I wanted to make but had to do the other diamond to get the idea into my head of what is being done. This turned out to be easier than the diamond within the diamond. I only had to do this twice . BUT….. after I steamed this out it hit me what Irene Krieger meant when she said you have to remember which needle is your first (or pivot) hole. If you saw my whole swatch sample you would see that the first zig on the left had 10 holes and the second zag on the right had 8. That is because you don’t count the pivot needle.So I will go back and do another sample and write down the directions.

I can see this design going up the middle of a sweater . I can also see it  made much wider . I can also see it going up the middle of a sleeve. The only thing that detracts from the design is my choice of yarn. I just used a 315 scrap yarn. This would look nice in Tepeyac, Diamonte or Estillo or any dress yarn that is finer.

Passap Diamond Within A Diamond


dscf3806

I was reading an article called Queen of Diamonds by Irene Krieger in Machine Knitting News magazine August 2002 . I looked at this diamond and thought , that’s too easy so lets do the one design next to it. I could not grasp how to do the design I wanted to do  and thought I better try the  “easy” diamond design first to see if it would turn on the light bulb in my brain. OMG!!! The article just tells you how she added texture and some of what she did to arrive at the design. She does not give needle set up or what needles go  on the front or back bed. I sort of assumed it was done on a standard machine but had to try the passap because I love it. (Did I ever mention that? lol)It took me three times before I finally got it. I think it would take me even longer  to  write out the instructions !! haha

You start out doing the eyelet transfer on the front bed. When you move L1  needle to L2 on the same bed, you then bring one needle into work on the back bed opposite the hole.(racking handle up) Then knit four rows. On the next row you take the stitches on either side of the first eyelet(L2, R1) on the front bed and put them on the stitch next to them (L2 to L3 and R1 to R2). Then you pull needles on the back bed forward into the empty spaces. You continue until there are nine needles on the back bed. This is the purl area around the middle “knitted” diamond. Then the fun begins!!! While you are moving the end stitches out on the front bed for the big diamond, now you will start the middle diamond  by moving those stitches to the front bed! Sound confusing? It was and is. My sample is larger because I went wider with the diamond .(And yes, it was a mistake)

The reason that I like this design is because the rest of the garment would be in knit and that is a lot easier sewing the side seams than if it were the purl side. I probably won’t make anything using this design but did you ever wonder how something was done and just had to try it? I know a lot of you can think outside of the box and could come up with lots of ideas where to use this.

Now, I have to go try the design next to this one that I wanted to start with first  and see if I can figure it out after doing this “easy” one. Hah

If enough of you want me to write the instructions on this, I will do it. Just let me know. 🙂

Passap Item for the Goodwill


Bet a lot of you never think I have a project that does not come out well. Wrong! A friend made a tartan plaid wrap and sent me a picture of it. I loved the plaid design. So I decided to make a scarf but I wanted the plaid to go all the way around so I knew I would have a seam. So I moved the pattern around so that one cranberry stripe would go up the middle on each side. Okay, good so far. Then I added two extra stitches , one on each end so the main color would knit those  and sewing up the seam would be easy . Okay, still good . So I cast on 69-69, Technique 195 . Both end needles on the front bed. I used tension 3../3.. so it would be a little tighter weave so it would not be real wide. When I knitted about 3oo rows I got under the machine to look at the fabric.Yep, I like it. Knitted a couple hundred more rows and looked again. I took off the weights and comb and thought, oh, no, this will be too heavy a fabric for me. So now, do I drop from the machine or just finish and see what happens. So, since 2/24 yarn is multiplying in my house, I decided to keep on going to the end of the scarf which was 1152 rows!!!!! This is an afghan! lol Well, I sat and sewed it up and crocheted the ends together to seal the tube. I decided to just give it to the goodwill store. Then I thought maybe my sister would like to put it  around her shoulders when she sits outside on cold nights around their campfire  when they go camping in the late fall.  I visited my sister and she loved it and told me she would use it to put around her shoulders when she sits and reads in their family room. So, all effort is not lost.

Now the real laugh is that it would have been a nice wrap if it was one layer, BUT….since I moved the pattern over the design would be way off if not sewn together. Haha