I saw this sweater in my folder of “to do” items and I thought I would just knit this up one, two ,three. Wrong. I did my tension swatch and I used 60 stitches instead of 40. That was a good thing. Stitch gauge came out more accurate. I was also lucky because the pattern fit perfectly into my size so the side seams and shoulders matched. The yarn is Bramwell and the color is black and cranberry, not red. The pattern is from Machine Knit America Vol 2 #5 and it is called Warm & Wearable by Betty Null. It is a two color fairisle and Technique 180.
I decided to knit the easiest part first, the back. Well, when I got to the underarms I realized that I had to do a cheat sheet for the decreases because you have to knit four rows with two colors for one row of design. That took a little time. When I got to the top of the back it says to take the middle stitches off on waste yarn. I realized then that you can’t short row the neck so that there is a one inch drop when doing fairisle on two beds. Okay, I will do that even though I know I need the one inch drop. This might be different because it is a jacket . Wrong. I needed the one inch drop so I did a cut and sew.
Now I knit the right and left sides but I had to be careful to adjust the weights so that the front pieces didn’t elongate as I was knitting up to the shoulders. I managed that but then I had to do another cheat sheet because the front decreases were being worked at the same time the underarm stitches were being decreased.
Now I am finished with the fronts and the back and ready to join the shoulders. And this is the part I liked but was afraid of how it would look. You are working on both beds and on the last row of the second color you transfer the back bed stitches to the front bed and knit one row and take off on waste yarn. THEN…..you kitchener stitch the shoulder seams! Just like the toe of a sock. Okay, I did that and I really like it. I usually put one set of shoulder stitches on the needles behind the latches and then hang the second set and pull those stitches through and bind off.
Now the bands. I felt the directions for the band were vague sort of like Vogue sewing patterns. Well I have made a ton of sweaters so I thought how hard can this be. Well, I did one band over twice on the neck since it was too wide using just the stitches on the waste yarn. I had to double up quite a few stitches and then attached the band. I did one front band and then the other . I did not like the look of them since they seemed too flimsy. So off they all came and I did them with two strands of yarn and they are perfect weight. Now I only have the sleeves to do.
Only, hah! They took longer to do then the other pieces! I had to do more cheat sheets and it took forever to do the increases going up the sleeve and then the decreasing on the sleeve cap on double beds. Now I attach the sleeves and there is too much bulk under the arms. So I hung the sleeve seams on the machine taking them in and it turned out perfect. I then serged the inner sleeve seam so it was not thick . The greatest thing about this sweater is that after all of that work it fits me perfectly! It also looks better since I lost 10 pounds. lol I found a simple silver closure that I liked for the front at JoAnn fabrics.
I don’t want to discourage anyone because this is easy. It just takes time. 🙂
Sorry if you received three notices for this posting. WordPress has changed its format again!