I saw this pattern at a hand knitting seminar a year ago. I went to the same seminar with my friend about a month ago and I bought the pattern. I wanted to convert it to machine knitting. The pattern is designed by Diane Kostecki. It is available through Kalamazoo Knits. The sweater is knitted from the sleeve cuff to sleeve cuff all in one piece. I chose to knit to the middle of the back yoke on both sleeves and then kitchener stitched the two together.
I made the first sample with old yarn that I use for scrap yarn. I used my passap machine for it. I did not have trouble crossing the cables with the acrylic yarn. A couple of things I did not like. The 1X1 ribbing seems too flimsy and the 2X1 that I used on the second is too large BUT that is because of the yarn I used using the Bulky. I also did not like how the purl stitch was carried across the back yoke. I eliminated that. Too much bulk at the neck. By eliminating that , it does not look funny . I made this twice and I don’t like the band done as all one. I don’t like seams in ribbing but if I make this for someone, I will do the two front bands and then the neck. In order for the band to curve at the beginning of the neck, the stitches really stretched. In my sample, there is a mistake on the left side . crossed the cable wrong and also one of the purl needles accidentally got pushed out of work. It was okay since this was just scrap yarn and trying to convert pattern. This is just to show how the original pattern comes out. In the pictures in drop box you will see what I am talking about on the back yoke with the two purl stitches going across the back.
Another thing I don’t like about hand knitting patterns is when there are no schematics . 😦 Okay, I am done complaining. lol
I knit the good sweater on the Bulky since the pattern calls for 5 stitches to the inch. That is what I got with Bernat sport yarn on tension 3. The yarn looks and feels like cotton and it has white specks in it that you can’t see in the picture. The bad thing is that it was too hard to cross three stitch cables so I did a progressive cable so it was not hard on the machine. If you want to try this out I have written up the pattern with the changes and put pictures with it to show you how it is knitted and assembled. My sweater came out 9 inches wide and the newborn size is supposed to fit a finished chest size of 18 so I was okay with tension.
Here are the directions in my drop box.