Archive for June, 2013

The Vest That Took Me Forever


DSCF2815 copyDSCF2812a copyI started this vest over a month ago. I saw this sweater on my neighbor and told her I thought it was so cute. She gave it to me and I took pictures up close and the measurements of it once I tried it on. The shoulders were too wide so I had to do a set in armhole. I finished the fronts and  back. I thought the armholes looked too large for a crocheted edge so  I put a ribbed band on . Then I let it sit and when I went to do the other arm band, I had not written tension and stitches. Had to do an armband two times. Then, because I sewed the side seam up I had to attach the second band in two sections.

I did not like the way the front edges were curling and hanging so I did a 2 by 1 rib and took it off. Then I did my favorite button band and it looked too formal.  I decided to try a single crochet and then a backward single crochet (crab stitch) that I have never done in all of the years I have crocheted.  I like it and it did pull the edges up so they were not longer than the rest of the sweater. So, now I try it on and I don’t like the armbands with the rib. They felt too tight and they were off the edge of my shoulder so….. I took off the arm bands and did the single crochet and the crab stitch and I like the outcome. On my neighbors sweater there are two buttons at the bottom and the button holes are done on a machine. I may do that since the buttonholes were in between the ribs. Then again, I might not do any.  I also made a button called the Star Knot, sort of like the monkey fist button but easier. I used cotton braiding cord.  That is in the last picture. If I use buttons, these are what I will use.

The second picture shows the vest with the arm bands. The third picture is my neighbor’s sweater with the front edges  straight up because I was measuring. I figured my stitch and row gauge and then went to DAK and printed out the picture so I could follow it at the machine.

vest001

DSCF2816