I made another Sweet Dreams afghan (pattern from Knittin Buds) but I made it smaller. I removed half of the border design that was around the blanket and took out rows but was careful not to destroy the side design. I made it in a baby blue and tan. I do like the tan and brown one better. This one measures 25 inches wide by 38 inches long.
Archive for June, 2012
This is a purse I made that I am calling Autumn Leaves. In the picture on the left you can see that I knitted five stripes using short rowing technique. I used DAK for that. I knitted the front, then I hung it back on the machine at bottom(first picture of front and back in the bottom pictures) and worked on the opposite side for short rowing so that the side seams match(second picture) I used Paton’s yarn. I then felted for 25 minutes in the machine so that it came out the size to fit the handles. At the top of the purse I decrease six stitches on each side and knitted 20 rows to go through the slits in the handles. I pulled the felted yarn through the slits in the handle and then cut off excess and sewed to the purse by hand. You can see that in 5th picture. I sewed the side seams before felting. The width was 80 stitches and length was 94 rows at tension 8 on the Bulky machine. I added side gussests so that the purse will open a little wider to see inside. I needle felted the design on the front using leaves from my yard that you can see in the third picture. The deep cranberry leaf is from a Japanese maple. The acorns actually stand up on the front and are not flat giving the design some dimension. I lined the inside(fourth picture) with a cotton material that I preshrunk and it has leaves on it and similar colors for fall. The lining has two pockets on one side and on the other side there are four pockets to slide items into so that everything is not sitting on the bottom. Of course, this can be used as a craft tote as well and the pockets can be used for scissors, needles, hooks etc. This will be in my Etsy store for sale soon.
I made this felted purse with Paton’s Wool . The colors are brown, blue and varieagated blue (tan,blue,light blue and brown)It took almost 3.5 ounces of the brown and about 1.5 ounces of the other two colors. The width is 11 inches and the length is 12 inches not including the handles. The wooden handles add 7.5 inches to length. I used the same short rowing technique as the last purse but I decreased the last two strips down to 30 stitches to go over the handles. I will add a picture of the side to show on this one that I did not match the colors to go around. They are all different.
I had a day off from work on Saturday and devoted it to a knitting project. I saw this pattern on a web site called Drops Design. It is a hand knitting pattern and I liked the design. It uses short rowing which I know how to do but trying to convert from a hand to a machine knit was the problem. If I was a smart person I might not have spent about four hours trying to figure it out while knitting. In actuality, I guessed on the numbers of stitches for the stripes and don’t know how I came out with a decent pattern. I was writing everything down as I did it and then had to cross it out and start again. I know why knitters who write patterns want to get paid for them! I used Lion Brand yarn in Nature’s brown, Oak tweed and Oatmeal. On the back I was going to switch the colors on the stripes but decided to match the front so that attention was not given to the seam. The second picture is taken from the side. I felted knitting for the covered button. I think it will be a magnetic snap instead of a buttonhole. Now you can laugh because I was thinking of this as a craft carrying bag and ended up with a purse! There is one more thing I have to do to this. The area between the button and the handle opens up when you carry it. I am thinking of taking a tuck in on each end to keep that from happening. If you go to Drops Design (the pattern number is NE-049)you will see that the purse they made uses the top for the bottom of the purse. That is why my area with the button curves higher.
Every now and then I like to do “No thinking” knitting and get something finished. I am making these slipper socks for my Etsy store. They are made with CanCun yarn on the Brother standard machine. It is a baby bootie pattern that I used and just changed stitches and rows to fit adult foot. The cuffs are doubled which is nice because they don’t stretch out and they keep your ankle warm.