This is a dusting mitt that I made from a pattern that Diana from Pullman, WA sent to me. After I posted my samples, she emailed me and told me that the stitch looked correct and that she made dusting mitts using this stitch. The first cone of variagated yarn I picked out of my supply was Bramwell 4 ply which is what the pattern called for.This was a lot of fun to make. I had to learn how to do 2×2 rib first. Then while following the pattern(easy) I realized that the carpet stitch is not all the way around the mitt. It is centered on the middle 34 needles. This comes out in a square, and at the top, every other stitch is transferred , knit two rows and gather off. Then the back is sewn up. So now, the settings to do the carpet stitch without a pattern are FX on BB with left arrow in and Cx on the front bed . Pushers on back bed every other one up. Knit 2 rows and remove stitches on front bed and leave needles in work. Repeat every 2 rows. These settings are what I would use to do a cuff, band of a hat and of course, this mitt.
If anyone tries this without the Stitch Ditcher or whatever it is called, you will have to tighten the tension on the front bed because if loops are too big, when pulling needles down after pushing up to release the stitches, the yarn catches on all the needles because the latches don’t close. I had to lower tension almost a whole number so my loops don’t look real large.
I hope I have not confused everyone too much!! Now you won’t try it at all. lol